Sunday, January 10, 2016

Fasting Day #6

On the pre-fast day of Jan 8, I had an egg omelette for breakfast and yogurt with hemp for lunch to try and eat lighter in advance of the fast day. For dinner I had a homemade habanero  pepper salsa with tacos and a spoon of sour cream which may seem like an odd meal but I enjoy the heat and it makes for a light meal in advance of my fast. This was enough to keep me feeling hungry while keeping by intake low for the day and made a nice transition into the fast day

On the day of my fast I only drank water with lime juice. I started my day with two hours of martial arts training and had lots of energy and no hunger issues. At about 1pm I had a rest. The afternoon was quieter. Even though I was feeling good, I didn't feel like doing too much.

The sleeping is usually the hardest part for me as I find it restless with a lot of dreaming. However last night was not that restless and I slept quite well compared to other nights.

Total time without food was 36 hours with a change in weight from 190.6 to 187.4 or 3.2 lbs. Of course this will increase once I start eating, but the net benefit will be gradual reduction in total weight.

It was also easier to achieve this length of a fast being a Saturday, as my usual weekday pressures are much lower allowing me to better adjust my activity to match how I feel.

I did a blood sugar test on the evening of the fast getting a reading of 4.4 mmol/L. The normal range for fasting blood sugar is 4 to 7, and the expected range 2 hours after a meal is 5 to 10.

My goal is to fast at least 25 percent of the time over a year and this is being implemented by achieving at least two 24 hour fast days in a week. The program started December 28, so up to this fast I have fasted 6 out of 14 days which is more than the target. It is still early, but we are moving in the right direction! My annual goal for 2016 is 90 fast days. so far we are 6/90

No comments:

Post a Comment