Monday, February 8, 2016

Fast #10- first 3 day fast of the year

I have decided to do a 3 day fast for this one. The main reason is because of how I feel. While I was away on the 10 day retreat, the meal plan was strictly vegetarian and what I found was that I was eating a lot of grains and breads...in fact much more than I usually eat on a regular basis. My diet is generally leaning to the paleo side with minimal grains and a balance of meats and veg.

I have been back for a week and I found it hard to manage my cravings and appetite. I was craving carbs more than usual! This caused my weight to pop up to 185.6 over the week for a gain of 4 lbs!

So to get away from the carb cravings I am doing a 3 day fast.

My last meal was Thursday evening and the first full day was Friday Feb 5. I found the first day very hard with cravings, a headache and finding myself very tired. I laid down for 2 hours when I got home from work and still slept deeply through the night.

The second day (Saturday) started out much better and I started the day with a martial arts class. The rest of the day was low key. I felt better through the day but still needed to rest and took a 2 hour nap in the afternoon. I was in bed around 10 and although slept reasonably well, I was dreaming a lot.

The third day (Sunday) started early with some home repairs for about 3 hours in the morning and a long walk with the dog. Was feeling a bit light headed at times but was keeping my activities to a minimum. It was also the most restless night for sleeping. I was awake every hour and although I was able to fall asleep each time, the sleep was fitful with active dreams.

I was also monitoring my ketone levels using ketone strips. The following list summarizes the level of ketones at various stages through the fast.

Hours into fast      Ketone Level (mg/dL)
      8                                 negative
      16                               negative
      24                               negative
      48                                  trace
      56                                    5
      66                                   40
      72                                   40
      80                                   40

This trend verifies the time it takes to transition from use of glucose stores to the conversion of fat to ketones. The fat burning cycle doesn't really kick in until after the first 48 hours or 2 days into the fast.

Weight at start of 3 day fast was 185.6 and at the end of the fast was 178.6 for a fasting loss of 7 lbs! I broke the fast with a green parsley celery drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment